27 July 2008

(47) Pop culture

As an artist I am influenced by pop culture, and not just from the USA. Culture is spilling over borders more that I remember growing up. Then again everything is very different from when I grew up. I was at the end of a generation before mass technology. I remember when CDs first came out, a time before video games or at least the way gamers are now and when MTV was brand new and played videos. I know I am revealing my age, but hell I am not remotely old, and that is my point. There was an explosion and I was just old enough to see it and live through it.

My interest in pop culture lies on the lowbrow side, which is influenced by the area I live in – not even saying this is a bad thing since “good” and “bad” are irrelevant. I show life the way I see it or sometimes as a reaction to what I see.

"Kitsch is mechanical and operates by formulas. Kitsch is vicarious experience and faked sensations. Kitsch changes according to style, but remains always the same. Kitsch is the epitome of all that is spurious in the life of our times."—Clement Greenberg, "Avant-Garde and Kitsch," 1939.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Almost there! The end is in sight. Just 30 minutes to go! *cheers*

JL